Breastfeeding offers the best nutrition for babies, and it's healthy for moms. But most new moms need some help to learn how to breastfeed or to overcome challenges.
At Stanford Health Care – ValleyCare, we are here to help you achieve your breastfeeding goals before and after childbirth.
Outpatient Lactation Center
We're proud to be the only outpatient lactation center in the Tri-Valley area. We offer private outpatient breastfeeding consultations to any mom who wants help. You did not have to deliver at the ValleyCare Birth Center in order to use our lactation services.
To make an appointment at the Lactation Center, please call 925.416.3598.
Our Board-Certified Lactation Consultants
Whether you need help during your stay in the ValleyCare Birth Center or want to come to the Lactation Center postpartum, one of our international board-certified lactation consultants will get you the support, education and assistance you need to breastfeed successfully.
A lactation consultant can help you:
- Learn positions that make it easier to breastfeed
- Master techniques to improve your baby's latch
- Solve a breastfeeding problem, such as low milk supply
- Ease soreness or pain with nursing
- Slow infant weight gain or failure to thrive
- Learn how to breastfeed twins, triplets or more
- Breastfeed a preemie baby
- Learn how to breastfeed when you return to work
Useful Breastfeeding Equipment
The Lactation Center offers many other services and equipment in addition to private consultations. Here are some examples:
Electric breast-pump rentals. Two types of electric, hospital-grade breast pumps are available:
- The Medela Symphony pump to establish milk flow for new moms who have not been able to breastfeed from the start
- The Ameda Platinum breast pump for dual pumping to establish and maintain milk supply
Baby weight scale rentals. A scale is available for rent if you and your baby's doctor are concerned about your little one's weight gain. The scale automatically calculates your baby's breast milk intake for you.
Breastfeeding supplies. Here are some of the many nursing maternity supplies available:
- Nursing bras. Comfortable, supportive bras are available in a large selection of styles and sizes
- Bustiers—hands-free pumping bras
- Medela hydrogels for sore, cracked nipples
- Lily Padz—to prevent leaking
- Dry baby wipes
- Breast pump parts
Taught by lactation consultants, our Prenatal Breastfeeding Class is for expectant mothers who need more information before making the decision to breastfeed or who are planning to breastfeed their babies. This class will walk you through the how-tos of nursing.