Patient Guide

Doctor speaking with patient

This patient guide contains information you may find helpful in preparing for your hospital stay. In addition, information on billing, your medical record and obtaining your baby's birth certificate also follows.

Birth Certificates

Birth certificates are obtained through Alameda County. When you have a baby at ValleyCare, you are asked to complete a form that is sent by Medical Records to Alameda County. The county forwards appropriate information to the Social Security Administration, which automatically mails a Social Security card to you as the parent(s). Birth certificates can be requested by calling Alameda County Offices at 510.272.6377.

You may also visit the Alameda County website to request a birth certificate.

Discharge Information

Stanford Health Care - ValleyCare has specially trained nurses called discharge planners who can help you or your family members arrange assistance at home. If you need assistance, a discharge planner or social worker will meet with you and your family in the hospital.

Discharge time is estimated to be around 11 a.m. Please make sure you have arranged for your transportation and home needs. ValleyCare cannot be responsible for providing transportation upon discharge. This is a financial responsibility between you and the transportation provider.

Hearing-Impaired Line

Stanford Health Care - ValleyCare has a special line for people who are hearing impaired. For TDD and TTY, please call 925.416.3422.

Language Interpretation Notice

Stanford Health Care - ValleyCare has a policy to provide effective communication for all patients, family members, friends and/or patient representatives as appropriate at no cost. Stanford Health Care - ValleyCare contracts with interpreter services in order to bridge communication barriers during medical encounters with patients who speak a language other than English.

View the ValleyCare language assistance policy.

Medical Records

You may obtain a copy of your medical record by calling Medical Records. Records must be requested five days in advance. Fees for records may apply.

Learn how to request share access to a child's or adult patient's online health record at Stanford Health Care through the MyHealth Share Access (Proxy) Program.

If you or your child received care at Stanford Children's Health, learn how to request share access to your online health record(s) via their MyHealth Program.

Health Information Exchange

Stanford Health Care – ValleyCare practices participate in secure electronic health information exchange. Our ability to safely share health information with other members of your care team benefits you in many ways.


Stanford employs information exchange in certain situations. If you have questions about this process, please contact our Health Information Management Services Department directly at 925.373.8019.

Contact Us

Health Information Management Services Department

1111 E. Stanley Blvd.

Building D

Livermore, CA


Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Back to top