Weight loss surgery at ValleyCare is designed to assist obese people in improving their quality of life using surgical intervention for weight reduction. As a Center of Excellence, ValleyCare has helped hundreds of patients improve their lives and achieve success in their weight loss goals since the program began in 2000. Our program includes a multidisciplinary team of surgeons, registered nurses, registered dietitians and a psychologist to help reach your weight loss goals. View a video highlighting on our weight loss surgery services.
- FREE Information Seminar (download class flyer)
- Welcome to the Weight Loss Program
- Medical evaluation to determine eligibility for surgery
- Multidisciplinary input for individualized patient care plan
- Healthy Lifestyle Education online and in classroom
- Initiation of exercise program and dietary changes
- Post-surgery care
- Support groups
Who Is Eligible?
Universal standards established by the National Institutes of Health are considered in the candidate selection process. The criteria include:
- Minimum of 100 pounds over ideal body weight (or about 70 pounds overweight, if significant health problems exist)
- Body mass index (BMI) of greater than 40, or greater than 35 with weight-related health issues (calculate your BMI)
- Significant effort at weight reduction without lasting success
- At least 18 years of age (individual consideration will be given to those
candidates younger than 20 or older than 60)
- Motivation to make permanent diet and lifestyle changes
ValleyCare Health System's Weight Loss Surgery Program has been fully accredited by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program. This designation is given to programs with a demonstrated track record of favorable outcomes in weight loss (bariatric) surgery. To earn this designation, all aspects of ValleyCare's weight loss surgical processes were closely examined and data on health outcomes collected.
"This designation is indicative of our commitment to providing a comprehensive, high level of bariatric care," said Mary Estakhri, MD, medical director and one of the surgeons for the ValleyCare program. "We are honored to be considered a top performer."
Most insurance plans will pay for Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy, or laparoscopic adjustable gastric band surgery if you meet their criteria for coverage. At ValleyCare, we accept almost all PPOs, some HMOs and Medicare.
Check with your insurance provider to:
- Ensure that surgery for weight loss is a covered benefit
- Understand what portion of the cost is to be covered, as well as your deductible or co-payment
- Learn if any specific criteria are required for approval
- Ascertain if ValleyCare is an allowed hospital within your plan
As a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence, we are included in most PPO plans. If you do not have coverage for weight loss surgery, you may want to consider our cash payment option.
If you are considering weight loss surgery, start by coming to our free information seminar. At the seminar, you will have an opportunity to learn more about the surgical options, ask questions of our health care staff and talk to people who have already had weight loss surgery.
If you decide to pursue weight loss surgery as an option, a medical evaluation to determine eligibility will be arranged. Prior to your pre-surgery evaluation appointment, please complete the Patient History Questionnaire Form.