Nursing Shared Governance
The Nursing Units and Nursing Councils form the foundation for shared governance within ValleyCare's Division of Nursing. The Councils form an interdependent network to facilitate shared decision making. This structure provides the framework in which nurses at all levels can investigate, develop, implement and evaluate standards of practice and care.
The American Nurses Association's Scope and Standards Model of Professional Nursing Practice formulates our standard of care at ValleyCare Health System. The foundation of our care is rooted in the Nursing Professional Scope of Practice, Standards of Practice, Code of Ethics and specialty certification.
Our nursing practice is guided by the California Nurse Practice Act, Title XXII, Title XVI and ANA Standards of Care, in conjunction with our community and hospital standards delineated in our policy and procedures.
ValleyCare Shared Governance Councils
- Nursing Unit-Based Councils– serve as a means of communication between Unit staff and Nursing Councils regarding decisions related to the provision of care and the care environment, competency and accountability.
- Nursing Research Council–advocates and supports clinical research and the use of evidence-based nursing practices.
- Nursing Quality Council–makes decisions related to the advancement of quality and safety practices. Utilizes nurse-sensitive indicators to facilitate performance improvement measures. Directs and implements decisions related to the nursing peer review.
- Nursing Practice Council–makes decisions related to the revision and implementation of standards of clinical practice and patient care consistent with evidence-based practice, national specialty guidelines and regulatory requirements.
- Nursing Professional Development Council–makes decisions related to the educational needs of staff to promote and coordinate professional development and education.
- Nursing Operations Council–establishes the strategic nursing direction and decisions related to final policies and procedures, supports the council structures, reviews hospital-based committee reports and deploys financial resources.
- Advanced Practice Nursing Council–promotes professional excellence and education advancement with the goal of providing accessible, cost-effective health care to ValleyCare Health System patients. Serves as mentor and resource to nurses as well as other health professionals.
- Nursing Coordinating Council–responsible for coordinating, integrating, monitoring and communicating the activities of the other councils.
Shared Governance Model
Back to top